From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Bhemidhi, Ashwin
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:04 AM
To: LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu
Subject: Re: z/VM Linux OS VLAN tagging

1.a) OSA port has been defined as a trunk
   b) OSA has been authorized the to use both VLANs on the trunk port
   c) trunk protocol set to "dot1q"

2. define vswitch vswitche rdev 3600 ethernet vlan 1000 porttype trunk

3. cp set vswitch vswitche grant svml09 porttype trunk vlan 106 730

4. vconfig add eth1 106
   vconfig add eth1 730

VLAN 106 is Ethernet frame with no IP (LLC over Ethernet)
VLAN 730 is IP.

Our problem is when the tagging is done by the Linux guest. There is
some wrong with the VLAN 106 frames going out to a Cisco router. The
router for some reason is rejecting those frames.

This works when we setup 2 different Vswitches using the same OSA trunk
port. In this case each vswitch assigns a network interface to the Linux
guest machine as an access port with default VLAN 106 and 730
respectively. Basically the vswitches in this case are doing the VLAN ID
tagging and the guest sees 2 interfaces eth1 and eth2.

Regards,
Ashwin