Ashwin, makes perfect sense. I interpreted Alan's remarks to suggest
that for the guest you can have a tagged and an untagged VLAN
communicating with the guest on the same guest interface, not two tagged
VLAN's. (Why else would the NATIVE VLAN be brought into the discussion?)
This could be a misinterpretation of what was said, but would explain
the phenomenon you are seeing. That would have network configuration
implications for the network equipment.

Would the next evolutionary step be the elimination of the Cisco SNA
Switch with hypersocket?

Harold Grovesteen

Bhemidhi, Ashwin wrote:

To give you a brief background of our network application/system. This
system is a SNA gateway cluster controller that talk SNA to the
mainframe and IP to clients (SNA clients) running on Unix/Windows. Thus
allowing 3270 like clients on IP network to talk to SNA application on
the mainframe (e.g IMS).

We used to run a UNIX based home grown SNA communication controller that
talked to the mainframe over token ring and NCP (3745 FEP). We changed
our architecture when IBM announced EOL of IBM 3745. Our SNA gateway
controller now talks to a Cisco SNA switch router using LLC over
Ethernet.  The SNA Switch router communicates with VTAM using APPN. Our
communication controller runs on x86 platform and has 2 network
interfaces 1 for IP to talk to the end clients and 1 for LLC/Ethernet to
talk to the Cisco SNA switch router.

This network looks something like:

Mainframe Application
VTAM
Cisco SNA switch router (communication: APPN up, LLC/Ethernet down)
Our custom controller (communication: LLC up, IP down) <- z/VM solution?
End SNA clients (communication: IP up))

Today we are using HP x86 servers that run Linux in our environment. Our
intent is to replaces all the servers with a z/VM Linux based solution.

We already ported and validated our network application on z/VM using 2
OSA express cards (1 for IP VLAN 730 and 1 for LLC VLAN 106). What we
are trying to do is instead of using 2 OSA adapter just use 1 OSA
adapter with trunking enabled for VLANs 730 and 106.

The trunk solution works when the VLAN tagging is done using 2 vswitches
using the same OSA and presenting the network interface as an access
port to the Linux guest machine.

We are trying to move the VLANs setup/configuration to the Linux guest
were the Linux kernel does the VLAN tagging instead of using 2
Vswitches. This would reduce the number of vswitches.

We are looking at getting at a network probe in this environment to
capture trace.

Hope I could explain everything clearly if not let me know I can give
more details :-).

Ashwin Bhemidhi