Lee Stewart wrote:
Hi all...   I know if you resize an ext2/3 filesystem, it has to be
unmounted, fsck, resize, then remount..   Is there any filesystem(s)
that can be resized while in use?  (Never have to unmount, therefore
never have to have the app down.)
Thanks,
Lee
I have resized both ext3 and resierfs online (under LVM2) on SLES 10 no
problem.

There are some limits....

From the ext2online man page, please note:

"it  is always possible to resize to the next 256MB boundary for 1k
filesystems, the next 2GB
      boundary for for 2k filesystems, and the next 16GB boundary for
4k filesystems"

As mine all seem to be 4KB filesystems so I usually run into problems at
the 16GB boundary.
At that point I have to resize offline.

The ext2online manual refers to an ext2prepare program which I haven't
be able to find on SLES 10 :-(

For reiserfs the man page for resize_reiserfs says:

"The resize_reiserfs program allows to grow a reiserfs on-line if there
is a free space on block device."

And I have found no limits on SLES 10 so far.....

Once again I must stress that all file systems that I grow are running
within LVM2.

mark