John writes:
> David Andrews wrote:
> >     According to TIOBE
> >     (http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html)
> >     Ruby is the 10th most popular programming language today.
> And rising, 9th today.
> >     Java is #1 and COBOL is #15. Check it out and see where
> >     your favorite language rates with the masses!
>
> ?? Really?
> Javascript seems to be in every web page I don't write myself.

  I think that JavaScript is used by web developers, not programmers. :-)

> I might be out of touch, but I'd have put C at the top.

  It appears to me that many/most college computer science departments
teach Java as the first language - sometimes as effectively the only
language.   Perhaps that's why C is in 2nd place.

  Note that Pascal is coming up fast!  It moved from 22nd place to 15th
place in a year.

--henry schaffer