> >   It appears to me that many/most college computer science
departments
> > teach Java as the first language - sometimes as effectively the only
> That's moderately sensible, and arguably better than the Fortran I
> started on.

Only moderately, though. It's disappointing that when a lot of the
youngsters have to take the strongly typed training wheels of Java off,
it's really hard for them to do it.

I think that's one of the major defects of the ACM CS1 and CS2
recommended curriculums -- it's possible to be mono-lingual and still be
compliant, and the kids don't get to see examples of the major types of
languages and where they are most effective. Functional and data-driven
languages have good reasons to exist, and there are problems that really
are appropriate for them, and not procedural languages.

> > language.   Perhaps that's why C is in 2nd place.
> >   Note that Pascal is coming up fast!  It moved from 22nd place to
15th
> > place in a year.
> If one accepts Delphi as being largely an implementation of Pascal,
it's
> even better.

I guess I have too many scars from DEC-10 Pascal and VS Pascal as used
in VM TCPIP to think that ANY Pascal is a good idea...8-)

It's encouraging to see both Perl and REXX in the top 50. REXX seems to
finally be coming into it's own on non-IBM platforms.