The positive part of adding the extra complexity comes when you want / need
to expand one of your logical volumes. This can be done via LVM fairly
easily, and in some cases, without even taking the filesystem offline. A
real, physical minidisk can't do this at all; you need to create an entirely
new disk, and copy the data from the old one to the new one. Then, you have
to replace the old one with the new one, possibly requiring the guest to be
brought down.

The other bad thing about avoiding LVM is that you are then limited by the
size of your largest physical disk. If all you have are 3390 mod 27's, then
you avoid your users when they need more than 22gig in a filesystem. We have
several filesystems on 3390 DASD that are half a terrabyte or larger, and
would not be possible without LVM.

--
Robert P. Nix          Mayo Foundation        .~.
RO-OE-5-55             200 First Street SW    /V\