From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Ryan McCain
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:24 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Root filesystem

Do you have every directory under / defined as its own filesystem?  /etc,
/boot, /var, /opt, /lib, etc.. ?

>>> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:15 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David
Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>  The main reason is we have a limited about of disk to allocate and we
> will
>> have a hard time saying X gigs go to /opt, Y gigs will be needed for
>> /home, etc.
>
> Then put those secondary directories into LVMs and mount them at boot
> time in /etc/fstab -- no problem there. It's really just / that we're
> worrying about here. For a manageable system in a large configuration, /
> is (and should be) small and rarely changed -- all it has to do is
> provide mount points for other filesystems, either in LVM, network, FCP,
> etc.
>
> In most cases, / contains enough to get the system up and on the network
> to the point where you can work with it. Once you can do that, you can
> do anything else you want to do fairly easily.

> send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
> visit

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email from the State of California is for the sole
use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged
information.  Any unauthorized review or use, including disclosure or
distribution, is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and destroy all copies of this email.