> I usually split out /opt /usr /home /var /tmp and /srv in a single VG.
> that
> makes it easy to move space around between them.
> /lib /boot /bin /sbin and /etc I leave in / since they all need to be
> there
> for it to be bootable.

I use a very similar approach to Jay, with /home, /var and /srv in a
separate VG. I separate /etc into a separate VG (because that's where
all the stuff that makes a server unique exists), but put a minimal /etc
on the / partition to allow the system to come up to the point where I
can overmount the other stuff.

A system looks something like this:

/ = non-LVM partition, separate minidisk, about 5-10M, basic /sbin,
/bin, /etc
Production /opt, /usr, /lib, and /bin = system_vg
Production /home, /var, /srv = data_vg
Production /tmp = temp_vg
Production /etc = config_vg

> Split this way - the / should not really grow by more than 10%,  if at
> all,
> due to applying security fixes.

Exactly.