Fargusson.Alan wrote:

Alan, I have a threaded view of my incoming email: its displayed in a
tree hierarchy reflecting who replied to whom. For some reason, your
email isn't being threaded properly. Could you pls check your settings
and see whether there's something you can tweak?

Do you want it to work when the interface is up?  What I was trying to say is
that with most hardware it will work when the interface is up or down, or it
will not work when the interface is up or down.  You can't do what I think you
want.

I'm not sure what you think you're saying here: what I expect is that if
my external interface(s) is(are) down, I do not want applications
working that should not.

Many applications fail if names don't resolve, and when that happens
it's abundantly clear that something is broken and I get to recognise
that it needs to be fixed.

If squid and sendmail and other stuff starts as if nothing's wrong when
something is, it might be some time before I recognise that a network
cable or a power cable has fallen out.

--

Cheers
John