Scott,

NFS is of course one option for sharing file systems, but its security model
and performance may not meet your requirements.
MVSDASD has no security model - and doesn't even support the necessary
serialization to be considered safe IMO.

It would be nice if z/OS zFS filesystems could be shared with Linux on z,
but don't hold your breath.   Even so, that wouldn't address sharing of MVS
datasets.

While not a file sharing technology per se, our free Co:Z toolkit allows
processes on z/OS to exchange data with processes on Linux on z
It uses SSH to setup processes and connections between z/OS and Linux, but
you can also configure it to use clear-channel socket connections for data
transfer (taking advantage of hipersockets).   For more information, see:
http://dovetail.com/coz

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies