> we are activating RACFVM to supply necessary security for our VM
systems.
> There is some debate as to whether it is worth activating DIRMAINT as
> well.
> We only have a few users who ever update the directory and it is
> questioned
> as to whether the extra complexity of DIRMAINT with its attendant
> overheads
> and possible system fragility is worth the small increment in security
it
> seems could provide.
> Is there a preexisting consensus on this matter?

Yes. Do it. It's not that complicated, and it will save your posterior
when you get an off-by-one error in allocating minidisks.

Even with only a few administrative users, you can still make math
errors that cause you to overlay data with minidisks. DIRMAINT prevents
that mistake from happening, which will (experience speaking) save your
posterior at some point. You also need it for SMAPI support to handle
disk allocation via some of the developing tools.

Also, turning on DIRMAINT mitigates the insane complexity of RACF
somewhat.

> This email is confidential and may contain copyright material of the
John