> So are you other vendors
> saying you have something that works or not.  I am not talking windows
> servers-  Linux servers.

With a few tolerated exceptions, discussions of commercial offerings
on-list is considered rude and is actively discouraged. Several people
invited you to discuss your requirements off line. I suggest you take
them up on it -- most people wouldn't expect to discuss product planning
or active R&D projects in a public forum.

> Personally I am surprsied that IBM presents
> zLinux as a platform to migrate many small linux x86 servers.  It also
> states that the system p competes with the Unix large Suns and HP.
Then
> turns around and makes a product for the system p to address a need
which
> zlinux could use.  Very strategic and logical thinking.  No wonder
they no
> longer use THINK as their motto.

While IBM's marketing message has moderated somewhat from the "Z uber
alles" period right after Test Plan Charlie in 2000, they are doing
better about fitting the solution to the problem. System p *does*
overlap some of the traditional Z slots in enterprise computing, and
will continue to encroach if IBM doesn't wise up about the low-end
market ($200K for 29 MIPS is ludicrous, guys). P is also a much more
numerically oriented platform than Z, which does make it competitive in
Sun/HP shops where Z is not.

Even on a z10 (and even on BIG z10s), there is a fair amount of overhead
in emulation. P CPUs have cycles to burn, and generally a lot of them,
proportional to the size of the machine. Z design tends to encourage
efficient code and context switches in multiple tasks, which most of the
emulators don't take advantage of at the moment.

--db