On Sat, 18 Oct 2008, Richard Gasiorowski wrote:

> I must be missing something.  My original question was does IBM have an
> LX86 product for zLinux. The answer is no.  So are you other vendors
> saying you have something that works or not.  I am not talking windows
> servers-  Linux servers.  Personally I am surprsied that IBM presents
> zLinux as a platform to migrate many small linux x86 servers.  It also
> states that the system p competes with the Unix large Suns and HP. Then
> turns around and makes a product for the system p to address a need which
> zlinux could use.  Very strategic and logical thinking.  No wonder they no
> longer use THINK as their motto.

>From what I understand of how IBM divisons work, this is considered
normal. The System p people will attempt to take business from the System
z people and vice versa. It is not one big happy family. I will grant that
perhaps the p people would be more likely to go after HP or Intel markets,
but that is because that AIX is closer to Linux or HP-UX, than z/OS, so it
is an easier sale. But the p people will compete with the z people over a
possible Linux account.

--
Q: What do theoretical physicists drink beer from?
A: Ein Stein.

Maranatha!
John McKown