> IBM, have you thought about changing that default?
> I bet everyone hits it eventually.=20

Hello all, yes we have. Actually I was discussing this topic last
week with part of the team.

First my apologies that the SRM defaults cause the problems
they do. We have changed the defaults in the past, the last
time being VM/ESA 1.2.2, so we're probably due.

There are two challenges here.

The first challenge is that there are environments where the current
defaults are appropriate. I had been thinking that the correct
approach was to change so that the SRM values could be set in
the SYSTEM CONFIG file. We would then ship the default SYSTEM
CONFIG file with SRM values that are appropriate with the idea
that most existing customers would continue to use their own
SYSTEM CONFIG files. Even better, down the road we could have
different SYSTEM CONFIGs for different usage. The line item to
add SRM values to SYSTEM CONFIG has missed the cut to be
included the past couple releases. That was part of the
discussion last week. We talked about just changing the defaults
and forgetting the SYSTEM CONFIG file. (Though I still like
the idea of having that and other things in SYSTEM CONFIG
instead of hidden in different places on every system (OPERATOR
PROFILE, AUTOLOG profiles, Directory entries, etc.).

The second challenge is while everyone agrees they should be
changed, it is far more difficult to agree on what the new
values should be. I conveniently have a meeting with the
scheduler team today. This is on my agenda.

So again, I apologize if it appears we have been ignoring
this aspect of the system. I'm probably as much to blame as
anyone. I'll try to make it right.

Regards, Bill Bitner