I've seen strange CPU spikes related to the huge number of devices
visible in LPAR mode.  You may want to test booting with the cio_ignore=
parameter, to limit to only the devices you need.  For more info, see:

http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/dw/linux390/docu/l26cdd04.pdf
(p. 404, PDF p. 431)

Shot in the dark, but could help.

-Brad

Ron Foster at Baldor-IS wrote:
Hello all,

I have an NFS server that is serving up files to all of our Linux
systems running under z/VM.  This is about 40 systems in all.  This
system was upgraded to SLES10 Service Pack 2 last weekend.

All has been going well this week until this morning.  Our FDR/Upstream
backup of this system did not complete last night.  This NFS server runs
in it's own LPAR.  When I looked at top, it appeared that between the
backup program and a process called lockd, all CPU was consumed.  I
killed the FDR/Upstream backup.  It still appears that large amounts of
CPU time are still being used by lockd according to top.

When I do a ps -ef, I see
root      3404     1 54 Nov09 ?        2-07:40:02 [lockd]

Top says the cpu consumption as:
3404 root      16   0     0    0    0 R   98  0.0   3340:55 lockd

When I go into Performance Toolkit and look at LPAR data I see.
Partition Nr.  Upid #Proc Weight Wait-C Cap %Load CPU %Busy %Ovhd %Susp
%VMld %Logld Type
BUSNFS      3    12     2    100     NO  NO   ...   0  57.6    .6
...   ...    ... IFL
                            100         NO         1  57.1    .5
...   ...    ... IFL
So I am pretty sure there is a cpu consumption with this nfs server and
lockd in particular.

Has anyone else run into a problem like this?
Ron Foster
Baldor

Brad Hinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sr. Support Engineer Lead, System z