Excellent recommendation from John, but ...

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, John McKown wrote:
> What I do in many cases is have cron run a script. That script then
> sources /etc/profile and ~/.bash_profile.
>
> Another possibility would be to have cron run a login shell
>
> * * * * * /bin/bash -L ...cmd...

I strongly recommend avoiding profile and config files which are
specific to a particular shell.  Better would be to instead source
/etc/profile and ~/.profile and teach your users to do the same.
Not only does Linux have alternatives to BASH but if you're in
any mixed environment you possibly won't have BASH on the others
(BSD, OpenVM, AIX, Solaris, HP, whatever).

BASH has a lot of cool extensions which people are tempted to use.
(Using them is fine and good, but entrenching BASH in the rest
of your system is foolish.)  Remember to start with  "#!/bin/bash"
if you want BASH-specific features.  But don't expect such a script
to run on your non-Linux systems right away.

> Maranatha!

Amen!