On Tuesday, 12/09/2008 at 03:46 EST, Mike Eves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I am trying to establish a z/VM software stack to support zLinux and
would be
> grateful for any advice or recommendations. I want to be able to run a
robust
> and secure z/VM environment using traditional mainframe support teams.

While everyone will chime in with their fave product, you generally need
the following system management software in order to have a "robust and
secure" environment:
- A security manager
- A directory manager
- A performance monitor
- Backup / restore
- System automation
- A tape manager if the quantity of backup/restore data warrants

There are, as you might suspect, commercial solutions for each of those
from IBM, CA and others.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott