From: Linux on 390 Port [linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of David Boyes
[dbo...@sinenomine.net]
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 2:19 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Setting up TSM backups to a Mainframe Server

It's exactly like setting it up on AIX or Solaris. The basic steps are:

1) Unpack and install the RPM for the TSM client using rpm -i.

2) cd to wherever it installed it (we usually put it in /opt/tsm or
/opt/dsmclient)

3) cp dsm.opt.smp to dsm.opt

4) edit dsm.opt to set any values you need (usually TCPSERVERADDRESS is
probably the only line that absolutely MUST be changed -- change it to
include the DNS name of the z/OS system). If you have any AIX or Solaris
clients, your dsm.opt file will probably be identical to the ones used on
that platform. May be the same as Windows, but it's been a long time since I
used TSM for Windows, so YMMV.

5) If your TSM server is not set to open registration, get the TSM admin to
register your client and give you a password.

6) Run 'dsmc incremental' from the Linux command line, give it the TSM
client password, and you should be off to the races.