On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:58 PM, Gentry, Stephen
<stephen.gen...@lafayettelife.com> wrote:

> I want to use the SWAPGEN exec to create a VDISK. To my knowledge, the
> only way to do this is with an EXEC (usually a PROFILE EXEC) to create
> the swap disk. I have switched from using a PROFILE EXEC to IPL'ing the
> boot disk directly in the USER DIRECTory.  Is there a way I can run
> SWAPGEN in this scenario?

When you have the VDISK in the directory, another (CMS-based) virtual
machine could link to the disk (MW) and format / prepare it while you
boot Linux. We did some ugly tricks to detect it, but with current
technology you could put a CP MSG in the directory entry to inform the
server about the logon. You could also use something like this to add
a VDISK while Linux is already running.

Or you prepare the disk with mkswap from within Linux. You end up
using the FBA driver rather than DIAG, but for many installations it's
probably not worth the trouble. VM *could* take advantage of DIAG
better, but doesn't do so right now.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij