From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of
Mark Post
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 8:33 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] Security question and using scp

<james.chap...@associates.dhs.gov> wrote:
> We have a security requirement (which is common with Linux) to prevent

> ssh login for root (setting PermitRootLogin to no).  One problem we
> find, as system administrators, we like to use secure copy (remote
> file copy program, scp) files between systems. However this will not
> work for any root level files, since scp uses ssh to copy files over a
network.
> Does anyone have a suggested solution or better way around this issue?

While I agree with the principle of no direct root logins, this side
effect bugs me to no end, since I do a lot of scp work.  The only ways
I've found to get around it are to:
1. "scp -p filename non-rootu...@target.system" and then SSH to the
target system, su to root, move the file to the right place and chown it
back to what it should be.
2. Create a tar file with the file in it, scp it as the non-root user,
SSH to the target system, su to root, untar the file in place.
3. Enable SSL FTP, then get and use an SSL FTP client.

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
visit http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390