Scott Rohling wrote:
Auditors like to think they know who did things. If I connect to your
system using ssh, how do you know it's me? All you know is that someone
connected using a public key you've approved.

That 'someone' who connected has the private key that pairs with the public
key...  that's supposed to be the indicator that it is you.

01:20:21 r...@mail.office.lan ~ # wc -l .ssh/authorized_keys*
   9 .ssh/authorized_keys
   9 .ssh/authorized_keys2
  18 total
01:20:33 r...@mail.office.lan ~ #

I don't recall that anything logs who's logged in as root. Here's what
my system logged just now:

Jan 23 01:20:19 mail sshd[3619]: Accepted publickey for root from
192.168.9.131 port 41855 ssh2
Jan 23 01:20:20 mail sshd[3625]: (pam_unix) session opened for user root
by root(uid=0)

--

Cheers
John