On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 12:46:08PM -0600, Adam Thornton wrote:

> >>I curate a museum which includes a uni-CP Multiprise 3000
> >-snip-
> >>Do current distros still support this
> >>platform or will I need something older, and if so, will
> >>current encryption software work on the older distro?
> >
> >SLES10 and RHEL5 are 64-bit only.  Previous versions are 31-bit or
> >64-bit.  The non-commercial distributions, Debian/390, Slack/390,
> >CentOS are mostly 31-bit.  So far as I know, they all include GPG
> >and OpenSSL.
>
> Yeah.  How acceptable this will be depends, really, on the bandwidth
> you need encrypted, because doing crypto on a multiprise is pretty
> slow.  Something that we've had success with (depending on your
> requirements) is to use an outboard x86 box, a private network, and
> some iptables magic to make it transparent to everything else on the
> network but do your crypto where it's cheap.
>
> There are, of course, organizations that will provide support for non-
> major distributions, and at least one that really, really likes
> Debian.  Ask me offline.

Sigh...  We're running VM/ESA 2.2 which means CP doesn't
know about the IEEE floating point hardware.  As I see it,
we can upgrade VM, tell the kernel to use emulation even
though the hardware is there, or put Debian (and VM) into
their own LPARs.  Does crypto make heavy use of floating
point?  Is there a way to virtually network between LPARs?
Does the kernel parameter support using emulation even
when the hardware is available?  If you can answer off the
top of your head, let me know.  Otherwise, I'll figure
this out next week.

--

May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

Dave Craig

"'So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe.'"

--from _Nightfall_  by Asimov/Silverberg