>Depending upon what distro you are using, your package manager may allow
>you to have both the old and the new version of the package installed at
>the same time.  If the package is a set of libraries with suffixes, then
>that might be sufficient.  With RPM-based distros, you tell RPM to install
>the new package, rather than upgrade the package (rpm -i ... instead of
>rpm -U ... or yum upgrade ...).  With a DEB-based distro, I don't know how
>you do that.

Well, the problem is usually not in getting two versions installed. The fun
results from the fact that both versions are there at the same time, and
getting separation between them. You definitely don't want applications to mix
components of both with unpredictable results.

So to get back to the original question. If and when vendors do support running
on some distro level you certainly do expect them to support running with
package versions current for that level. So I would expect a vendor to:

a. only support running on a backlevel distro (say SLES 8) with packages
current for that distro, or
b. support running on a current distro (say SLES 10 ) with current packages.

A vendor requiring you to mix packages from a. with b. is certainly in error in
my view.

Best regards,
Pieter Harder

pieter.har...@brabantwater.nl