Especially if you happen to be on the z platform and running a major
commercial distribution, such as it sounds like in Mr. Boyes's case, I
tend to agree with you Pieter.  It is true hat open source package
APIs can become moving targets on th whim of the respective project
lead, but Redhat and SuSE aren't known for rushing out experimental
code into their production distributions.  Usually you have this
problem when you're runnin debian stable where mny packages are two
years behind the current release (or at least traditionally have
been.)  But again Pieter I agree with you, getting a modern package
manager to play nice is easy.  It's getting the packages to play nice
which is challenging.  And it may VERY well require some assistance on
the part of your vendor.

Erik Johnson