On Feb 18, 2009, at 9:34 AM, O'Brien, David W. (NIH/CIT) [C] wrote:

Hi,

 We're new to the Linux world. Currently we have 3390 Mod-3 (2.8G)
and Mod-9s (8.4 G) defined to our Linux guests under Z/VM.

 I'm starting to get complaints that these 'partitions' are too
small and do not compare favorably with the dasd sizes available on
PC desktops. (Apples and Oranges, in my opinion.)

 What I'd like to know from the group is - What are your DASD sizes?
Are the complaints about partition sizes valid?

We have a segment of 1.8TB that could be re-configured. I've
suggested 50Gig Mod-54s but have been told that's too small.

As with everything else, it depends.

If they have applications that have large data storage requirements,
then, yes, building LVMs from many small partitions can get annoying
fast.  In that case you may want to look at FCP-attached SCSI, either
presented directly to the guest (which makes management a pain) or
given to VM and then shared to the guests as EDEV FBA (which would be
my inclination).

On the other hand, if they just want that space for their pornography
archives, then that's less urgent.  And if they just want them because
their PC has 2TB, then that's also less urgent.

Adam