On 2/18/09 1:52 PM, "Stewart Thomas J" <stewartthom...@johndeere.com> wrote:

>> From my notes, feel free to correct any errors.
>
> EDEVICE can be used to emulate ECKD on FBA. We did some testing with this and
> were able to format the disk for use as z/VM minidisks. The setup was pretty
> easy and once defined were controlled mostly the same as regular ECKD disk.
> Per one of our IBM calls - Performance issues, not recommended at all. Nobody
> else doing it that way.

Poppycock. It is slower, however there are certainly people doing it. I know
of at least two sites that are all-FCP, no ECKD at all, and are perfectly
happy.

> EDEVICE - Is this not recommended in any configuration, even low I/O servers?
> Is that the plan 'forever', or just until anything might change relating to
> performance improvements with newer versions of z/VM.
> No, stick with ECKD or Linux owned FCP.

See my earlier comments. It is a manageable problem if you get good
performance data.

> "Absent from this study is an evaluation of Diagnose X'250' with emulated FBA
> DASD." - that was another question IBM could never answer at the time we
> consulted them, basically how that might speed up the overhead of using an
> EDEV. Or even what versions of z/VM and Linux would support that.

Not directly Linux experience, but OpenSolaris certainly makes extensive use
of that capability and it seems acceptable at a pretty good load. I'm sure
others will chime in with their opinions.