Andrej wrote:
2009/2/24 John Summerfield <deb...@herakles.homelinux.org>:
Windows is a little more difficult, I need a Linux boot disk and the
right program, and if it's a domain controller there's another trick
after that.
I can assure you that w/o a boot disk, and a second-stage password
entered after login for an encrypted file-system you won't be touching
any important data on any of my Linux machines.  Of course, for servers
that need to do their job after an unattended reboot that's not feasible.

I suspect encryption isn't going to be popular amongst those who don't
have a good reason to hide their stuff, and is likely to be a rule much
infringed amongst those who do. Is anyone tracking accidental release of
private information on laptops, CDs, USB disks and even hard disks that
are lost of disposed of without proper care?

I have a laptop whose internal evidence identifies its previous owner
(an insurance company) and activities of its user (either an travel
clerk or someone who spent _a lot_ of time planning holidays), and a
desktop previously owned by an education dept. A couple of Pentium IVs
previously owned by a consultancy with an intact installation of Windows XP.

One individual was planning on using the CPU serial number to encrypt
his data.

--

Cheers
John