On Thursday, 03/19/2009 at 05:19 EDT, Chan Kok Leong <c...@chankle.net>
wrote:

> I am talking about the MAINT profile in USER DIRECT.
> I help to maintain a test system when users are free to edit that file
> so that they can create their own guests to work with.
> A thought came to me on how to recover the system if someone change the
> password for the MAINT user and then somehow forgets it.
> In the linux world, there are ways to reset the root password, you know
> for times when the sysadmin forgets his password.
> Is there something similar for z/VM?

If the sysadmin forgets his password, then sysadmin2 will have to reset
it.  If sysadmin2 forgets his password, too, then (1) you have to declare
an emergency and begin to recover the system, and (2) check the water
supply for memory-damaging chemicals.  The answer to "How do I recover?"
is different depending on whether your system is safe and secured by using
an external security manager such as RACF, VM:Secure, et. al., to store
and encrypt passwords, or whether you have a vulnerable unsecured system
with no ESM at all. (shudder)

>From your subsequent posts, it sounds like you fall into the latter
category (you let people look at USER DIRECT which contains passwords). In
that case your objective is to find USER DIRECT and look at the password
contained therein.  On a vanilla system, that means you want MAINT 2CC. In
z/VM 5.3 and 5.4 it is 5 cylinders in size and located at cylinder 506 on
the RES pack.

To get to it you either need access to a user who can get access to the
disk or who can issue DEFINE MDISK.  The system OPERATOR can do it:
DEFINE MDISK 2CC 506 5 540RES
ACCESS 506 M/M (read-only)
XEDIT USER DIRECT M
  SET VARBLANK ON
  /USER MAINT

If your operator's console is in linemode, you have special challenges.

If you can't get to the disk from the system that is up, then you have to
bring up another system that can get to the volume.

If you change the location or size of MAINT 2CC, WRITE IT DOWN in a safe
place.  That place should be in your Disaster Recovery plan.  (Even if you
don't change it, WRITE IT DOWN.)

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott