Our programmers have been creating java based applications that they
start and stop using simple scripts. The start script call java to start
the program; however the stop script issues a simple kill command
against the PID.

Our problem if User A start the program, only User A can kill it (except
for root). We want anyone in the group level to be able to also issue
the kill command (in the script). Is there a way to allow users in a
group to kill each other's started processes.

Being new to the zLinux and Java worlds, is it standard to issue a 'kill
-9 pid" to terminate a java program? Is there a better way and how does
issuing a kill de-allocate memory and other issues?

James Chaplin
Systems Programmer, MVS, zVM & zLinux
Base Technologies, Inc
Supporting the zSeries Platform Team