Re: how to cause a Java app to shutdown IF you have the authority to send it
a signal:

Java JVMs on *nix generally will respond to SIGINT (2)  or SIGTERM(15) by
exiting "normally".
An application an register a "shutdownhook" and run some code to clean up if
necessary.

Here's a link:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux/50/sdkandruntimeguide.lnx.html#signals

Kirk Wolf