I think, in SLES 11, you either must use Yast to add disks, or to use
the scripts supplied by Novell that Yast calls.  The script to add
dasd is dasd_configure, and if you run it without any arguments, it
shows this help:
Usage: /sbin/dasd_configure  <ccwid> <online> <use_diag>
For your use, you'd enter:  dasd_configure 0.0.0203 1 0
This will create the needed udev rules so that the device will be
placed online at boot time.  I don't think I'd recommend copying or
editing the rules files directly.  By the way, the dasd_configure
script also exists in SLES 10, but it created the hardware
configuration files in /etc/sysconfig/hardware instead.

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Mark Pace <mpac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmmmm - new stuff in SLES11 -
> Found /etc/udev/rules.d
> copied 51-dasd-0.0.0202.rules to 51-dasd-0.0.0203.rules  and then edited the
> file and changed all occurances of 202 to 203, reboot, now difference.
> udev is not bringing 203 online at IPL.
>
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Mark Pace <mpac...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Working on a new SLES11 install.
>> I added a new disk as an LVM volume.  After I had the LV setup and working
>> I did an
>> mkinitrd
>> zipl
>>
>> When I reboot it does not find the disk and stops.
>> I can do
>> chccwdev --online 0.0.0203
>> mount -a
>> and the disk comes online and mounts fine.  I added   dasd=0200-021f   to
>> the zipl parameters, another mkinitd and zipl,  but the disk still is not
>> online at boot time.
>>
>> What have I forgotten to do?
>>
>> --
>> Mark Pace
>> Mainline Information Systems
>> 1700 Summit Lake Drive
>> Tallahassee, FL. 32317
>>

> --
> Mark Pace
> Mainline Information Systems
> 1700 Summit Lake Drive
> Tallahassee, FL. 32317

> send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit

Bruce Hayden
Linux on System z Advanced Technical Support
IBM, Endicott, NY