On a z10 I have a sles 11 with multipath /boot LUN and a separate multipath /
LUN

sles 11 Storage Guide says sles 11 supports a multipath /boot:
"DM-MP is now available and supported for /boot and /root in SUSE Linux
Enterprise Server 11."  (Which I think means zipl can now write the scsi
bootloader to a multipath LUN.)

My repeatable problem is that when I run mkinitrd , shutdown and try to IPL,
the Machine Loader complains and the IPL fails.

MLOEVL012I: Machine loader up and running (version v1.4).
MLOLOA013E: Invalid Program Table, wrong or missing magic number.
MLOLOA041E: Unable to find the component table pointer.
MLOEVL010E: IPL failed.

(Before anyone says I didn't run zipl after mkinitrd, I find that's not needed
on sles 11: mkinitrd runs it under the covers.
 I nevertheless tested by running mkinitrd and zipl and got the same IPL
failure)

If I run the same sles 11 with multipath / LUN and the same /boot LUN but as an
ordinary scsi device and do
mkinitrd, shutdown, then IPL works fine.  I suspect the problem is in zipl but
it seems quite happy with a multipath /boot.

Any ideas what's wrong? Is the Storage Guide premature?

The sles 11 is a new install without any patches. z/VM 5.3 0801+
zipl -v says version 1.8.0
the s390-tools is s390-tools-1.8.0-43.2

I compared the failing and working /boot/zipl/bootmap files and cmp says
they 'differ: char 2055, line 3'

John Romanowski
z/VM - zLinux Support
NYS CIO/Office for Technology