Hi John,

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 03:48:00PM -0400, Romanowski, John (OFT) wrote:
> On a z10 I have a sles 11 with multipath /boot LUN and a separate multipath /
> LUN
>
> sles 11 Storage Guide says sles 11 supports a multipath /boot:
> "DM-MP is now available and supported for /boot and /root in SUSE Linux
> Enterprise Server 11."  (Which I think means zipl can now write the scsi
> bootloader to a multipath LUN.)

unluckily, it's a long time ago i played around with scsi/fcp on z Series - but
if i remember correctly,
there it is no possibility to use zipl on a multipath device (i.e.
/dev/mpath0....).

As i can remember, a working procedure was:
- Boot the system from a single path without any multipathing
- Execute "zipl"
- Boot the zipl-entry with enabled multipathing

Maybe recent/future releases of the s390-tools include support for zipl on
mpath-devices.

Best regards
Marc Schoechlin