While the *rode* is indeed wrapped 'round the anchor (and the globe) in
the USMC logo it is NOT a "chain".  Many different materials may be used
in the rode, including chain, but there's no chain in the (USMC) logo -
it's a rope rode..  Far enough O.T. for you?

Karl S Huf | Senior Vice President | World Wide Technology
840 S Canal, Chicago, IL, 60607 | phone (312)630-6287 | k...@ntrs.com
Please visit northerntrust.com
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication is confidential, may be
privileged and is meant only for the intended recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify the sender ASAP and delete this
message from your system.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To the extent that this message or any attachment
concerns tax matters, it is not intended to be used and cannot be used by
a taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by
law. For more information about this notice, see
http://www.northerntrust.com/circular230

Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 07/02/2009 06:25:41
PM:

> Note the USMC logo. The anchor chain is wrapped around the anchor. So,
> all marines are always fouled up. ;-)
> The use of the fouled up anchor as a symbol of the marines goes back to
> at least the late 1700's. The term SNFU or SNAFU (I have seen it both
> ways although the later is now the more common) may go back that far
> also. My father told me that he first encountered the term SNFU as
> "Situation Normal Fouled Up" when he joined the Navy in 1932. The other
> "F" word would not have been used in 1700 as at that time it was a
> device pulled by a farm horse to plant seeds. It didn't take on its
> current meaning until some time in the 1800's. Could it be related to
> "sowing wild oats"?

> How far OT do we want to go with this? :-)

> bruce.light...@its.ms.gov wrote:
> > one more view -
> > 3 of my great uncles were marines - 1 in 1918, WW1 in France. The
other 2
> > in the Pacific in WW2.
> > All 3 agreed that the terms SNAFU and FUBAR were in general use by the
> > enlisted Marines even before their time(s).
> > Was the subject of several memorable conversations at family reunions
where
> > some of the "gentler" family members got offended and left the outdoor
> > festivities to the "rougher" members - and us wide-eyed young boys.
> > Was probably a similar saying in use in every military back to the
Sumerian
> > and pre-Confuscian days.
> >

> --
> Stephen Frazier