David,

When you say, you have to connect to the system via the HMC, are you
talking about the operating systems messages interface or the ASCII
console interface?

You say both ports.  This implies more than one interface.  What is your
default route set to in /etc/sysconfig/network/routes?  Is it set to one
of the active interfaces?

When you say you are getting martian messages, could you elaborate?
Could it be that the firewall got turned on?  The interface might be up,
but the firewall is disallowing all traffic.

Also, there is some sort of OSA support tool that our zOS guy uses.  He
can go look at the OSA and the what LPARS are attached to an OSA and
what addresses they are using.  The people who know how to use this tool
are out today at a meeting.  Do you all have someone who can look at the
OSA with this tool and find out if the Linux LPAR is really attached and
what address it is using.

In my limited experience running Linux in LPARS, there are only a few
files that have to be right to get the network up.
/etc/sysconfig/network/persistentnetworkname  (in our case)
ifcfg-qeth-bus-ccw-0.0.a100
/etc/sysconfig/hardware/hardware name (in our case)
hwcfg-qeth-bus-ccw-0.0.a100
/etc/sysconfig/network/routes

And possibly /etc/hosts

Also, if you all are a member of SHARE, there was a presentation some
time back that included some tips on how to get the "network" up when it
does not want to come up.  If you do not have ascii console mode
running, it might be worthwhile to use google to find this
presentation.  (A lot of the presentations are on the linuxvm.org
website.)  If I remember correctly, the presenter said that by using a
few echo commands to the right places, you could get a network up.  I
never tried it though.

Ron

David Stuart wrote:
Afternoon,

<set Newbie Alert>

I am not all that experienced with Linux, and I haven't worked with it for a
while, and I have proceeded to shot myself in the foot.  Maybe both feet.

Sles 10 SP 2 running 'native' in an LPAR (no, no z/VM (yeah, I know!)) - Using
Yast Network Manager, I have managed to disable both OSA/Express ports, and I
have been unable to get them back, so far.  Reboot(s) have been unsuccessful in
restoring my OSA ports.  The ports are running QDIO mode.

A ping from my PC times out.  An ifstatus eth0 shows it to be active.  But I
can't seem to connect to it.  I have to connect to the System through the HMC.
But the rest of what I need to do to get things back active are off in the far
hazy, recesses of my mind, such as it is...

Ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Also, I am having a large number of 'martian' messages, displaying all kinds of
header information.  None of which makes any sense to me.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Stuart
Prin. Info. Systems Support Analyst