Michael Grundy wrote:
I've discovered this on RHEL5-clone on another platform.

Looking at a RHEL 5.3 system, I don't see a yum-auto update. There is
yum-updatesd, which can be controlled in the normal fashion:

# chkconfig --list yum-updatesd
yum-updatesd    0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

yum-autoupdate is in Fedora. I don't know whether it can be removed, in
SL removing it also removes yum.

It seems the behaviour I see is specific to Scientific Linux 5. I'm
generating some heat there, I don't see any justification for it in any
likely environment for a RHEL clone. I for one don't want updates to any
of my systems on Red Hat's say-so, and that's exactly what has been
happening.

A system like Microsoft's where one can opt-out would be fine. Opt-in
would be better for EL IMV.

--

Cheers
John