From: Linux on 390 Port [linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of John Summerfield
[deb...@herakles.homelinux.org]
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 04:16
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Linux and z/VM Wiki

Jack Woehr wrote:
> David Boyes wrote:
>>>    3. Redirect discussion of what should be on the Wiki to discussion
>>>       pages of the Wiki itself!!!
>>>           * Like, uh, that's what Wikis are for :)
>>>

>>  What's wrong with discussing it here,
>>
> What's wrong with keeping all the source files in your computer program
> on different computers?
>
> A Wiki is self-contained, info and rationale, rolled into one. That's
> about half of why they're so useful.
> Instead of a website filled with assertion, they're sites filled with
> assertion and justification.

Every man and his dog can create a wiki, and it's difficult to tell
which are authoritative. Take Redhat/Fedora wikis for example. There are
some hosted by Red Hat and the Fedora Project. Then, some of the
developers/team members head off to other places to create wikis of
their own, maybe as authoritative, maybe not. Maybe they like blowing
their own trumpets, instead of promoting the project as a whole.

Who should, sensibly, assume that this site speaks for any part of the
Linux community?
http://pathname.com/

I'm a member of the woodwork forums, http://www.woodworkforums.com/
which seems to be the best place (but certainly not the only place) to
discuss matters woody. I find it quite difficult to keep track of what's
happening there, though there are daily mails sent out for threads
members are enrolled in (and one enrolls either deliberately or by
contributing), but for anything new one has to go looking.

In contrast, everything on this list arrives in my inbox. I see
everything, choose what to read, respond where I feel the urge. If it
was a wiki, I'd be battling to keep up, I'd probably just fall away.

A site like http://isay.js.id.au/ can be good for documenting stuff (or
publishing one's opinions), and http://www.php.net shows how well
documentation based on a wiki can work, there is the official
description and then user comments to clarify finer points, suggest
alternatives or document handy tricks.

--

Cheers
John