Mark Post wrote:
On 9/23/2009 at  1:36 AM, "Douglas M. Wooster" <d...@isomedia.com> wrote:
-snip-
I'm sure one could use a Wiki as a discussion
forum, but it really seems better suited to developing, storing, and
searching reference material.

I'm not sure how this meme got started, but nobody is advocating moving general
discussion from the mailing list to the Wiki.  What I _did_ say/mean was that
as the Wiki grows, I would like to see the discussion of what content goes
where (organization/structure),  what other topics are needed, what existing
topics need editing, etc., happen on the Talk pages of the Wiki itself, not
here.  Until the number of people actively contributing to the Wiki reaches
whatever critical mass is necessary, most of that discussion is going to have
to happen in this mailing list.  That's a significant difference, obviously,
and one that I believe respects the time of the people on the list that aren't
going to be interested in such minutiae.

Being able to place documentation
where other people can find it, like you can do on a wiki, is great,
when you have something authoritative to say.

Given the population of this mailing list, I can't think of any more authoritative
source.  Everyone from the people doing actual z/VM and Linux development, to the
distribution providers, to the "old hands" at z/VM and Linux, to the brand new
person is represented here.

Seems db misinterpreted something Jack Woehr said, then some of the
others of us took it further off the rails.

David, Jack was referring to the discussion of the wiki itself when he
was talking about discussion on the wiki.

Mark, I think that if discussion of the wiki on the wiki could be
mirrored to this list, at least for a while, that might be of interest
to others and maybe inspire a few, "I can do that!"

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait