On Thursday 01 October 2009 23:08, BISHOP, Peter wrote:
>I've searched around and drawn a blank.  What I'm wondering is whether there
> is a method in Linux that emulates a z/OS DDNAME's facility of allowing
> multiple datasets to be concatenated and effectively treated as one file.
>
>I looked at symbolic links, the "cat" command, variants of the "mount"
> command, but didn't see anything clearly supporting this.  The ability
> supported by the DDNAME concept of not needing to copy the files to
> concatenate them is important as we want to avoid as much overhead as
> possible.
>
>What we'd like to do is run a job on zLinux that accesses multiple z/OS
> datasets in one "file", as is done with the DDNAME concept with z/OS JCL.
>
>Can NFS in some way support this?  I think NFS will only use the "mount"
> command anyway, but has it another route than that?

I suspect you need to do this because you've got some program that reads from
a single file, and you want to feed several files into it without copying
them.  Is that right?  If so, this is what pipes are for.  Use cat to
concatenate the files together and then pipe them into your program, like so:

        cat file1 file2 file3 file4 | myprogram

If the program doesn't read from its standard input, but only from a file
named on its command line, you can make it read from the standard input like
this:

        cat file1 file2 file3 file4 | myprogram /dev/stdin

I hope that helps!
        - MacK.
-----
Edmund R. MacKenty
Software Architect
Rocket Software
275 Grove Street · Newton, MA 02466-2272 · USA
Tel: +1.617.614.4321
Email: m...@rs.com
Web: www.rocketsoftware.com