From: BISHOP, Peter
Sent: Friday, 2 October 2009 1:09 PM
To: 'linux-390@vm.marist.edu'
Subject: emulating a z/OS DDNAME dataset concatenation in Linux

Hi,
I've searched around and drawn a blank.  What I'm wondering is whether there is
a method in Linux that emulates a z/OS DDNAME's facility of allowing multiple
datasets to be concatenated and effectively treated as one file.

I looked at symbolic links, the "cat" command, variants of the "mount" command,
but didn't see anything clearly supporting this.  The ability supported by the
DDNAME concept of not needing to copy the files to concatenate them is
important as we want to avoid as much overhead as possible.

What we'd like to do is run a job on zLinux that accesses multiple z/OS
datasets in one "file", as is done with the DDNAME concept with z/OS JCL.

Can NFS in some way support this?  I think NFS will only use the "mount"
command anyway, but has it another route than that?

Best regards
Peter

Peter Bishop
HP Enterprise Services Asia Pacific South Mainframe Capability & Engineering
+61 2 9012 5147 office | +61 2 9012 6620 fax | peter.bis...@hp.com
36-46 George St | Burwood | NSW 2134 Australia