Also if you are now shying away from running ldd, just make sure the binary is of type ELF and you are safe, the examination not the execution will take place. To make sure something
you are about to ldd is ELF, just do this sort of thing:

$ od -c /usr/bin/grep | head -1
0000000  177   E   L   F 001 001 001  \0  \0  \0  \0  \0  \0  \0  \0  \0

Because ELF binaries ident themselves

$ man elf

ELF(5) OpenBSD Programmer's Manual ELF(5)

NAME
    elf - format of ELF executable binary files

SYNOPSIS
    #include <elf_abi.h>

DESCRIPTION
    The header file <elf_abi.h> defines the format of ELF executable binary
files. Amongst these files are normal executable files, relocatable ob-
    ject files, core files and shared libraries.

etc.

Jack Woehr wrote:
McKown, John wrote:
This is a scary article. I don't have a Linux on z system to test it out on.

http://www.catonmat.net/blog/ldd-arbitrary-code-execution/

Oh, jeez, guys.

This is a kid's trick. The victim has to be stupid enough to execute ldd against a binary in the scamming user's write permission domain. And it doesn't run as root when it runs, just as the moron who executed this idiotic command,

   ldd ~jwoehr/hacks/bogus_binary

? Keep users who would do such things out of shell access. Let 'em use the
web interface you provide them instead, it's safer that way.

--
Jack J. Woehr            # «'I know what "it" means well enough, when I find
http://www.well.com/~jax # a thing,' said the Duck: 'it's generally a frog or