Agreed about that! But it is still not proper. If IBM wants to milk the cow to
death by not allowing people to learn for a cost which they can afford, then
that seems to be their right. I really dislike it. I would love to run z/OS on
Hercules in order to see if I have the ability to port some of the GNU
toolchain to z/OS UNIX. But I can't afford to buy even the cheapest approved
platform (zPDT now?). And if it turns out that I couldn't (likely), then I'm
totally out that money. Even though what I would like to do would benefit the
z/OS community and IBM. <shrug> I'm willing to invest my time. But I don't have
the money to burn. Which explains the explosive growth in the Linux and *BSD
communities where a person can do development for the cost of a relatively
inexpensive PC.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets®

9151 Boulevard 26 . N. Richland Hills . TX 76010
(817) 255-3225 phone . (817)-961-6183 cell
john.mck...@healthmarkets.com . www.HealthMarkets.com

HealthMarkets® is the brand name for products underwritten and issued by the
Company®, Mid-West National Life Insurance Company of TennesseeSM and The MEGA
Life and Health Insurance Company.SM