On 11/9/09 6:55 PM, "Patrick Spinler" <spinler.patr...@mayo.edu> wrote:

> I know for myself and my company, we happily pay IBM much cash for
> entitlements to enterprise linux to run on our mainframes and on other
> non-mainframe data center kit, even though I also happily run
> non-enterprise, freely available linux on my desktop.   I'd dearly love
> to have the legal option to run an inexpensive z/VM at my desk as well,
> even though we'd continue to pay lots of $$ for z/VM maintenance and
> support.

Declare yourself a developer, and get a zPDT license. IBM will legally
license z/VM and other OSes on zPDT. I'm sure you can think of *something*
that you write and maintain that would be useful to someone else.

For those who missed it, zPDT is a emulated Z on Intel Linux that IBM
supports for small developers. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles of
the z10 hardware, but on the other hand, most people don't need all of them
either.

Nice to see that IBM bought a clue that most small development shops CANNOT
afford a z10, and going from a 5 RU FlexES solution to something that takes
up the entire data center is a losing proposition. I'd still like to see a
hobbyist license program, but at least there is a somewhat practical
alternative again.

-- db