On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 21:25 +0000, Bishop, Peter wrote:

> I'm still a bit leery of the extra I/O, as that equates to elapsed
> time which is our enemy in this scenario.  I may try a named pipe test
> on a small case just to see what happens but Leslie's small test does
> not augur well.

Look at Leslies follow up post - I suspect the initial results were
invalid.
I don't understand why you think there will be "extra" I/O. Any reads
will go through the page cache. The data are referenced there - by both
(any) programs. The named pipe will stall waiting for the reader
process. Unless the cache is flushed and the data subsequently re-read,
there will be no more than 1 I/O.
If the files are small and recently created, they may even still be *in*
the cache. Unlikely if you follow the (zVM) recommendation to screw the
guest memory allocation down as much as possible. But again, the guest
may see them as real physical I/O (FSVO "real" in this context), and zVM
may still have the pages in storage. So no (disk) I/O.

If the application is doing (synchronous) raw/direct I/O, ignore all the
above. All bets are off in that case.

Shane ...