On Sunday 15 November 2009 18:32, Leslie Turriff wrote:
>       I wonder how intelligent the Linux pipe mechanism is?  If the connection
>works by something equivalent to QSAM's get/locate, put/locate, the overhead
>would be miniscule; just passing pointers and reactivating the pipeline
>stages?

It's not quite that smart.  Linux has to copy the data from kernel-space
buffers into user-space memory, at least.  So even if the block of data is in
the page cache, there's still a copy operation.  It doesn't just give a
pointer to the kernel's block to a process, which is I think what you're
describing there.

Thanks for the test script!  I think that is a better test than mine, because
it does more switching between files.  BTW: I get similar results, both on a
laptop and a Linux instance under z/VM, and with 500 100K files: about the
same time in user-space, and the named pipe took more system time.  But for
these small jobs that system time could be just noise.
        - MacK.
-----
Edmund R. MacKenty
Software Architect
Rocket Software
275 Grove Street · Newton, MA 02466-2272 · USA
Tel: +1.617.614.4321
Email: m...@rs.com
Web: www.rocketsoftware.com