On Mon, 2009-11-16 at 03:49 +0000, Bishop, Peter wrote:

> With zLinux named pipes I think there will be more than one read for
> each record, viz one for the cat command  and one for the pipe itself
> (perhaps two if the program then has to issue another read to get the
> data from the pipe).  Assuming an extra two milliseconds for each I/O,
> for every million I/Os you get about another 30 minutes' time (a bit
> more).  So an extra ten or twenty million I/Os adds about 5 to 10
> extra hours of processing time.

As I said Peter, I don't think there'll extra (physical) I/O. There will
be multiple read and write calls - but they should be resolved from the
page cache. In micro/pico-, not milli- seconds. The code seems to
support this assumption.
I see about 5% elapsed elongation on (most of) my tests - probably
consistent with the writer to the pipe being put to sleep while the
reader catches up.
However I did see some really odd numbers on occasion - I'm going to see
if I can set some probes in the pipe code to see what's happening.

Shane ...
(All my testing was done on an x86 non-virtualized server)