>>> On 1/15/2010 at 01:57 PM, Ray Waters <ray.wat...@opensolutions.com> wrote:
> I went ahead and started over and re-installed LINUX under my z/VM 540
> system.
>
> SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP2 (s390x) - Kernel 2.6.16.60-0.21
>
> I see I still need to change /dev/disk/by-id to /dev/disk/by-path, so I
> don't get hosed again.
>
> How is the best way to change my "by-path" to "by-id"?

For a relatively small number of file systems, the most secure way of getting
/etc/fstab changed is via YaST.
yast -> System -> Partitioner

Select a file system, then "Edit" and then "Fstab Options".  Choose the "Device
Path" selection for "Mount in /etc/fstab by", and then "OK", and "OK."  Move on
to the next one.

Once you have fstab updated, then cut and paste the value for the root file
system into the "root=" parm in /etc/zipl.conf.  Re-run mkinitrd (to get an
updated copy of /etc/fstab into the initrd), and re-run zipl.

The absolute easiest way, is to select the "Device Path" option during the
install process.  That way you don't have to come back to it later.  I believe
for SP3, and certainly for SLES11, this is the default.  Since SP2 is going off
support Real Soon Now, you may want to look at SP3 instead.