We do this and do not have an issue.  When we restore an lvm DASD it drops
right back into place.  I thought it went by the formatted volume name, not
the real dev name.

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of Lester,
Doug
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2010 4:31 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Full volume restore of an LVM DASD

We do full volume backups via HSM. In the case of a DASD hardware
failure, I would like to be able to restore to a new volume and make the
necessary changes for Linux to recognize the new volume. This does not
appear to be a problem unless the new DASD is part of LVM. Perhaps
someone can give me some guidance using the following scenario. Please
keep in mind; this is a SLES10 SP3 s390x LPAR installation.
Unfortunately, we do not run Linux under z/VM.

Example: If device 2912 has a hardware failure, I can restore to another
volume (say, 372f). I would also restore the other 2 volumes to the
original devices to remain in sync, unless someone can offer a better
suggestion.

How do I get Linux/LVM to recognize 372f instead of 2912?

Configuration:
--------------
0.0.2911(ECKD) at ( 94:     0) is dasda   (/)
0.0.2912(ECKD) at ( 94:     4) is dasdb   (LVM)
0.0.2915(ECKD) at ( 94:     8) is dasdc   (LVM)

/dev/dasda1           6.8G  372M  6.1G   6% /
udev                  247M  112K  247M   1% /dev
/dev/mapper/system--vg-home--lv
                      496M   17M  454M   4% /home
/dev/mapper/system--vg-opt--lv
                      2.0G  603M  1.3G  32% /opt
/dev/mapper/system--vg-srv--lv
                      496M   32M  440M   7% /srv
/dev/mapper/system--vg-tmp--lv
                     1008M  492M  466M  52% /tmp
/dev/mapper/system--vg-usr--lv
                      4.0G  2.3G  1.6G  59% /usr
/dev/mapper/system--vg-var--lv
                     1008M  221M  737M  24% /var

Doug Lester

Please see the following link for the BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee E-mail
disclaimer:  http://www.bcbst.com/email_disclaimer.shtm