Rafal,

This is not a problem with mixing long wave and short wave components.
Such problems would prevent word sync, speed negotiation and fabric login.
 PLOGI is a fibre channel ELS that happens afterward.

There still might be a physical issue.  Maybe some cable is plugged in the
wrong spot?  Maybe the channel is plugged into the wrong switch?

I agree with the others.  Your IOCDS is ok.  You would have had QDIO
establish/activate problems if something was wrong there.

I've been discussing your problem with another developer here.  We tried
to come up with a list of things to check, and ended up generating more
question then anything else... Could you tell us more about your
configuration?

Which machine?  z9?  z10?  z196?  etc
Which channel hardware?  Ficon Express 8?  4?  2?
Which operating system?
Which topology?  switched?  point-to-point?
Which storage?

I think the operating system should generate an error message somewhere
with details about open port failing.  Fibre channel defines 2 bytes worth
of reason code and reason code explanations.  The channel gives this info
to the operating system when PLOGI fails.  These bits would be very
helpful.

If you are switched, check zoning.  We're not too sure this is the problem
because we don't know which switch you might be using.  If it is zoning,
it seems odd that the name server in the switch would tell you the n-port
id if the target port wasn't in your zone.

We have the most experience with IBM storage.  When host connections are
wrong, other steps after PLOGI fail.  So we aren't sure that it is a host
connection/lun masking problem.

Most switches and storage arrays have login limits.  Could those be set
too low?

I hope this helps.

Ray Higgs
System z FCP Development
Bld. 706, B24
2455 South Road
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
(845) 435-8666,  T/L 295-8666
rayhi...@us.ibm.com

Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu> wrote on 11/18/2010 10:29:05
AM:

> John Schnitzler Jr/Endicott/i...@ibmus
> Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu>
>
> 11/18/2010 10:29 AM
>
> Please respond to
> Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu>

> LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu
>
> cc
>
> Subject
>
> Re: FCP port closed
>
> >Storage admin told me that both configurations (for PCHID 111 i 113)
are