Thanks to all for your response

Today storage admin has day off .. we are going to try all your suggestions tomorrow.

Answering your questions:
RH:
> Which machine?  z9?  z10?  z196?  etc
z9

> Which channel hardware?  Ficon Express 8?  4?  2?
FICON Express4 4 KM LX (Feature codes 3324)

> Which operating system?
z/VM 5.4 + zLinux (SUSE)

> Which topology?  switched?  point-to-point?
point-to-point

> Which storage?
EMC

JB:
Are the link lights on?
IIRC yes .. but to be sure I'm going to see it tomorrow.

Is the fiber known to be good?
IIRC yes, Storage admin tried different cables .. but of course I'm going to try it tomorrow again.

Do the ports at both ends pass a wrap test?
hmm.. I don't know about any tests ... we will do it tomorrow.

Thanks one more time.

Pozdrawiam/Best regards,

Rafał Hanzel
Programista systemowy, Dział Badań i Rozwoju Systemów Komputerowych
Tel. +48 32 3589246, Fax +48 32 3589277, email: hanz...@zetokatowice.pl
Tel. kom. +48 501677656
Zakład Elektronicznej Techniki Obliczeniowej w Katowicach Spółka z o.o.
40-158 Katowice, ul. Owocowa 1
Sąd Rejonowy Katowice - Wschód w Katowicach Wydział VIII Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego, KRS 0000051477
Kapitał zakładowy: 264500 zł
NIP 634-013-11-06
http://www.zetokatowice.pl

Jesteśmy uczestnikiem Programu
RZETELNA Firma
Sprawdź naszą rzetelność na
http://www.rzetelnafirma.pl/8FGKEVFH

Treść tej informacji może być poufna, w związku z czym powinna trafić bezpośrednio do rąk adresata. Jakiekolwiek jej ujawnianie, rozpowszechnianie, bądź kopiowanie jest zabronione. W przypadku omyłkowego otrzymania niniejszej informacji prosimy o poinformowanie nadawcy i usunięcie jej z komputera.

W dniu 2010-11-18 18:25, Raymond Higgs pisze:
Rafal,

This is not a problem with mixing long wave and short wave components.
Such problems would prevent word sync, speed negotiation and fabric login.
  PLOGI is a fibre channel ELS that happens afterward.

There still might be a physical issue.  Maybe some cable is plugged in the
wrong spot?  Maybe the channel is plugged into the wrong switch?

I agree with the others.  Your IOCDS is ok.  You would have had QDIO
establish/activate problems if something was wrong there.

I've been discussing your problem with another developer here.  We tried
to come up with a list of things to check, and ended up generating more
question then anything else... Could you tell us more about your
configuration?

Which machine?  z9?  z10?  z196?  etc
Which channel hardware?  Ficon Express 8?  4?  2?
Which operating system?
Which topology?  switched?  point-to-point?
Which storage?

I think the operating system should generate an error message somewhere
with details about open port failing.  Fibre channel defines 2 bytes worth
of reason code and reason code explanations.  The channel gives this info
to the operating system when PLOGI fails.  These bits would be very
helpful.

If you are switched, check zoning.  We're not too sure this is the problem
because we don't know which switch you might be using.  If it is zoning,
it seems odd that the name server in the switch would tell you the n-port
id if the target port wasn't in your zone.

We have the most experience with IBM storage.  When host connections are
wrong, other steps after PLOGI fail.  So we aren't sure that it is a host
connection/lun masking problem.

Most switches and storage arrays have login limits.  Could those be set
too low?

I hope this helps.

Ray Higgs
System z FCP Development